One of the greatest pitchers of all time was also one of the greatest Original Quote Machines of all time.
- "Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.”
- "How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?"
- "I ain't ever had a job, I just always played baseball."
- "I don't generally like running. I believe in training by rising gently up and down from the bench."
- "I use my single windup, my double windup, my triple windup, my hesitation windup, my no windup. I also use my step-n-pitch-it, my submariner, my sidearmer, and my bat dodger. Man's got to do what he's got to do."
- "Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."
- "My pitching philosophy is simple - keep the ball way from the bat."
- "One time he (Cool Papa Bell) hit a line drive right past my ear. I turned around and saw the ball hit his ass sliding into second."
- "There never was a man on Earth who pitched as much as me, but the more I pitched, the stronger my arm would get."
- "When a batter swings and I see his knees move, I can tell just what his weaknesses are then I just put the ball where I know he can't hit it."
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."
Sounds easy when you say it like that!
Number 10 sounds like great advice for any pitcher at any age.
More at Baseball Almanac.
Here he is on “What’s My Line” in the mid-60s.